The Russell County Public Library offers a variety of research materials for patrons who are interested in researching their family history. In addition to local collections, two paid subscription databases are now available. The first is Ancestry.com, which is available for use only in the library on a library terminal. The second, HeritageQuest, is available due to a generous donation from the Russell County Genealogical Society and is accessible from home or the library. The Russell County Genealogical Society is an organization dedicated to preserving the genealogy of Russell County's founding families and encouraging the preservation of all family history through genealogy.
- Family histories
- Cemetery, church and county histories for Adair, Boyle, Clark, Cumberland, Jefferson, Knox, Green, Madison, Mercer, McCreary, Nicholas, Pulaski, Shelby, Taylor, Wayne and Whitley counties
- Beginning genealogy books, as well as handouts of Pedigree charts, ancestral charts, etc.
- Birth, death and marriage index for Russell and surrounding counties
- Past quarterlies from the Russell and Adair Historical & Genealogical Societies
- Resources and index information for eastern and southern Kentucky, neighboring states such as Virginia, Tennessee and North and South Carolina
- Books on specific family names
For more information about the society and its collection at the Library, call (270) 343-READ.